Monday, May 05, 2008

Raja Petra: A Prisoner-in-Waiting

I read with sadness and pride of the words of Raja Petra Kamarudin on his impending arrest and indictment. This is what he had to say to his readers:

[quote]
I received a phone call early this morning saying that the police have contacted YB William Leong to inform him they will be taking me in today. It was not made clear whether it would be to take my statement, which they failed to get from me last Friday, or whether I am to be detained or charged. Nevertheless, I am on standby, waiting for them to phone me to ‘surrender’ myself to Bukit Aman, or for them to come to my house to arrest me. Either way I am waiting and am quite prepared for the prospect that this may be my last article for quite some time to come.

Whatever it may be, one thing is very clear in my mind. This is God’s will and if I am to suffer a fate of long detention then this is what God has willed for me. And I will submit to God’s will for does not Islam mean submission?

Yes, Islam is not about rituals. Islam is not about ‘showing’ you are a true Muslim by performing rituals. Islam is about submission and there can be no submission unless you are able to and prepared to submit to God’s will. Not doing so would mean that you have no submission in your heart and therefore would not be a Muslim at heart.

Thus far I have only mentioned fardu ain, the rituals that a Muslim needs to perform. But Islam is more than just fardu ain. There is another fardu called fardu kifayah. And fardu kifayah is mandatory upon all Muslims. But fardu kifayah is not about rituals. It is about doing your duty to the community. And one of the most important tasks a Muslim must perform for his community is to oppose all forms of evil or kemunkaran.

And that is what I perform under the mandatory fardu kifayah. I oppose evil. But the government calls it sedition. And for my ‘crime’ of sedition they would like to send me to jail. I would not like to go to jail for grabbing the backside of a cigar girl. I would not like to go to jail for raping an underage girl. I would not like to go to jail for murdering a Mongolian woman. I would not like to go to jail for robbing the nation. But I would enjoy going to jail for fulfilling my duty as a true Muslim under the mandatory fardu kifayah. So I await jail with glee in my heart.

So I await the arrival of the police or for the phone call for me to come surrender myself to Bukit Aman. And when that happens I will do what is required of me and not question God’s wisdom. For I am not a Muslim by way of mere rituals but a Muslim at heart. It is from God we came and to God we shall return. And everything that happens in-between is part of God’s grand plan.

Yes, performing rituals is easy. A ‘show’ Muslim is not hard to emulate. But a true Muslim at heart is what Islam is all about. And I would like to be that type of Muslim who surrenders to God’s will with gratitude in my heart and faith in that whatever befalls me is always for a reason and part of God’s plan that has been determined long before I came into the world midnight of 27 September 1950 in the Year of the Tiger. [unquote]

You can read his full article here: What is Islam?

With due respect to all my friends, I would say that I learn more about Islam from PRK than from the few Ulamak friends. Truly, Islam is such a beautiful religion and how I wish all of us understands this religion and its virtue. How I wish Umno and those bigots also understands.

***

15 comments:

CK said...

i will pray for RPK and if anyone in the government have conscience left and serious about reforming, RPK will be OK and fine.

Anonymous said...

Finally! Its about time we shut him up. There is line between genuine bitching and pure speculation.

As a wannabe journalist (yes, that is what I call bloggers,) they should know how to be humble and responsible.

Fyi, RPK is a paid 'character assassin.' Go check with his old boys network.

Anonymous said...

anon 10.00 pm

paid to run him down? am sure you dont even have the balls like him. rest my case for eunuchs like you.
shall one hundred thousand gather to support RPK?

Jefus said...

thing is,..... RPK's rumors have a habit of turning up to be the truth.

maybe its the nature of the msian population, thats how the facts go down,....turning up to be as he claimed. with the data provided by individuals who want the facts to see the light of day , and he is their medium.

i have a pertinent question,..... if he is a character asssassin,...why the dread for his articles? why the urgent need to shut up a rambling old man who is hogging a purported gossip blog? why are people "feeding" him facts / rumors?

more importantly, why is there such a huge following for his blog if it is nonsense? haven't the government learnt anything about cyber space? if it is just rubbish, have the government no faith in the thinking public to tell themselves that it was so?

could it be that he is very near to the uncomfortable truth? why not the government just rebuke him with plain facts? that would have seen the end to his popularity.

if the power that be incarcerates him, or intends to harm him / put him under intense duress in anyway, instead of proving to the general public that he was wrong,...it will only strengthen the believe that what he had blogged is true.

somebody recently said, msians have learnt to read between the lines. jailing him will only leave one conclusion by all right thinking msians,...... that its all true. and they want to shut him up.

Unknown said...

My heart is with RPK and Syed.

Fair said...

Should we start a campaign for RPK's legal fee funding even though he may not be asking for it ?
I pledge RM 500 for any such campaign.

Anonymous said...

Criminals are given honours. Justice seekers are given prison number. Bodoh boleh!!!!!

Unknown said...

Mav

no wonder Monday was gloomy sad day, all day long...

may GOD Soul-Grabber visits the houses of corrupters and take away their lives for hell in heaven!

would not be surprised that the week RPK in Peace Hill, Pakatan Rakyat is to take over the Leadership of the country...

Jefus said...

there is a discussion thread in YB Lim Kit Siang's blog on sedition, wrt RPK's case.

read here

yapchongyee said...

Hello Maverick SM !

I enjoyed reading your excellent article. I have admired RPK for his courage and integrity. I have been trying many times to get on his list for the priviledge to comment on his blog, but failed ! That is OK but tell him that I would consider it an honour to be able to comment on his blog.

I am in a similar predicament as RPK, only difference is that I live in Australia and I can have the freedom to submit or not at my own discretion. I too find the criminal conduct of Judge Zainon binti Mohd. Ali need exposing to the public glare and I too will find that a possible prosecution for sedition is awaiting me in KL. I too will find the courage of RPK inspiring and will follow his example. I will come to KL and confront judge zainon.

Coming back to your excellent article, I do believe it is a mistake to prosecute RPK because MURDER IS AN OFFENCE THAT THE COMMUNITY WILL NOT ACCEPT AN EYE WASH ! It is also for this reason that it is best for those who are inplicated in any way with the misdeed to PREFER to keep quiet if at all possible.

In an open Court trial of any sort, the full glare of the media will be sharply focused and the tiniest detail will be picked up by the people. Rightly or wrongly. here is a piece of opinion that I offer;CALL EVERY POSSIBLE WITNESS THAT CAN BE CALLED, AND UNDER CROSS EXAMINATION A LOT OF INCONGRURITY WILL BE EXPOSED. i BELIEVE IT IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO LIE IN THE WITNESS BOX. tHE MORE WITNESS THAT YOU PUT IN THE BOX, THE MORE INCONGRURITY WILL BE EXPOSED. I do not wish to be on the witness box in this case.

All the same I extend to RPK my very best of good luck and may he vindicate himself. The judiciary in Malaysia are not credible and not ethical.

Anonymous said...

RPK exaggerate it. RPK are now a ball between Najib vs Pak Lah vs various faction. Nobody want a bad publicity.

GobloKing said...

I can only learn from examples..

RPK has shown more nobility, courage and love for his country than many living leaders today

RPK has shown me what being a true defender of the faith is all about

RPK has shown me his money is where his mouth is..

MT posted a bank account sanctioned by Marina (wife of RPK) for funds to support him..
FYI - the article below is produced in whole fr MT


PLEASE we only need RM1 from you, nothing more.

RPK expresses his sincere thanks to all of you in helping him to get through this.

"ONE RINGGIT ONE PERSON" RPK's court bail donation can be deposit into this account:

Bank: CIMB

Account No.: 1403 0214 3340 50

Account Name Holder: Visvalinjam

note: account number corrected, the account number given by Marina Lee (RPK's wife)

updates 1045: we are waiting for RPK to approve on using PayPal Donation -- RPK approved at 1105.

updates 1231: RPK's bail out set to RM5,000.00 - total PayPal Donation as at now $758.72 USD / it shoud be enough when we combine with the donation at CIMB account. THANK YOU MALAYSIAN!

GobloKing said...

The site address
http://www.malaysia-today.net/2008/content/view/7080/84/

THE NAME IS VISVALINGAM & not visvalinjam as originally posted

Since the site is posted by super admin of MT - this should be correct info

Anonymous said...

LETS THE COLLECTION/FUND SNOWBALL LA!...

AND THE EXCESS OF THE COLLECTION/FUNDS BE GIVEN TO THE LATE MS ALTANTUYA'S SONS FOR THEIR MEDICAL TREATMENT.

AT LEAST RPK SACRIFICES WILL GAVE NEW BEGINING/HOPE FOR HER KIDS...

...BEERANYONE

Maverick SM said...

CK,

We'll have to wait and see; RPK is doing what he said he will do.

Jefus,

It's another beginning of a new chapter; we'll wait for further events to unfold.

Bayi,

You're a good man.

WTF,

Go and donate at RPK's donation drive as what Gobloking had explained below.

Hasilox,

We must accept that there is the law which will sanction accordingly.

Ling Ling Chatt,

It's not that simple and simplistic. There's more to come and for us to know.

Yapchongyee,

So you can see you are not alone.

Moo_t,

You may be right; let's wait for events to unfold.

Gobloking,

Thanks for the good info. I had done my part.