Monday, August 30, 2004

"Illegal to install filter near meter," says PBAPP


Illegal Filters Posted by Hello

Illegal to install filter near meter
It can pollute supply, says water dept


It is an offence to install a water filter near a water consumption reading meter, Sin Chew Daily reported. The daily quoted an official from Penang Water Supply Corporation (PBAPP) as saying that installing a water filter within 3m of the loop of the meter could contaminate the source of supply due to the backflow of unclean water.

PBAPP chief executive officer Datuk Liew Chook San said water filters that were not regularly maintained would lead to bacteria growth and pollute the water source. He added that the gadget could also interfere with the meter reading.

Water filters, he said, also caused inconveniences during PBAPP’s exercise to replace old meters, adding that there had been instances when filters broke down and the residents complained after such exercises. He advised consumers to install filters inside their homes and near their taps rather than on the loop of the meters.

Engineers behave as if they are scientist. They talk about bacteria growth and polluting the water source from filter medias of household when they had been supplying those extreme polluted and muddy waters to the household, and they don't care the hell how we had live with their inefficiency and incompetence and how much our health had been affected by those infectious and contaminated water they had supplied to us.

A personal experience to ponder:

My children stayed in Ipoh and I stayed in KL. In my KL home, every week, I have to change a new filter and every three days, I had to wash the filter once so that I can reuse it to last me for 7 days (cost conscious-lah). So, just imagine what kind of water is supplied by the authority to your house. It only take 3 days to blacken the filter media.

Couple of months back, I bought another filter media and installed it at the kitchen tap in my Ipoh home, as I believe the water supplied by JBA Perak is filthy and muddy.

One month passed after installation, I ask my son how many filter media had been replaced (my Ipoh home). He told me - NONE! What? Impossible.... Then I was told that the pressed steel water retention tank managed by JBA Ipoh which supplies the water to my house are been clean once a month for the last few years. Oh, my GOD, I never knew that JBA Ipoh has such an efficient water maintenance management system in place. It's been six months since, and according to my son, they are still using the first filter media and the fabric is still white in color, extremely little stain.

I ponder: Perak JBA charges 30 sens per thousand litres for domestic water supply and Selangor charges 57 sens and yet, the retention water tank and reservior in Perak is maintain and cleaned every month; while Selangor is charging double the price and the water quality is worse than the Klang river water; and Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (SYABAS) has proposed to the govt that the price of water in Selangor be allowed to increase by another 45%.

Pak Lah says all government departments and GLCs will have to implement the KPI to measure their performance. I wonder what is the quality benchmarks and KPI of PUAS and SYABAS, and the other water suppliers????

I presume other States also need to review their efficiency and quality before they ever set a KPI system of performance measurement.

And for those other GLCs and govt dept that are implementing the Balance Scorecard, please, please, please fully understand what is a Balance Scorecard before talking aloud and getting your news published in the prints.

All other water authority should at least set their benchmark against Perak JBA on quality and benchmark against Penang for price (22 sens/1000 litre).

Syabas, JBA Perak!!!!!

No comments: