Thursday, January 20, 2005

REVENUE INCREASE - EFFICIENCY PARADOX


REVENUE Posted by Hello

THE STORY OF AH BENG & HIS KOPITIAM CABINET COMMITTEE
-PARLIAMENTARY DEBATES ON GOVT. REVENUE

Ah Beng: Hi guys, MPs of Kopitaim.

MPs: Hi Beng, you are the last to arrive for this cabinet meeting.

Ah Beng: Ya lah, I have to go to police station to settle summons and the que is very long-man!

MPs: what happens?

Ah Beng: You all don't read newspaper-ah. Police HQ has issued warning to motorists to payup summons or SEE YOU IN COURT. Yesterday, they come to my house to pay me a visit. One saman - for the car I've sold many years ago. Not my fault, but kena bayar juga.

MPs: sorry for you man.

Samy: Aiya, you kena traffic saman, I have visit from Income Tax men. Its regarding my kopi stall. They said I also must file my tax return for the kopi you drink here.

Khairi: We all same-same. I also kena. Todays news in NST, Datuk Dr Shafie Salleh, the Higher Education Minister say 200 National Higher Education Fund Corporation loan defaulters will be hauled to court soon for failing to settle loans. I am waiting to be sued.

MPs: what is happening uh?

Khairi: I think, every department is instructed to improve their revenue - maybe, this is related to Pak-lah's mission - an effective and efficient govt system.

Ah Beng: Maybe, the govt don't have enough money to pay salary.

Samy: Don't say like that. Govt. cannot have no money. They can take from EPF; sorry, borrow from EPF.

Khairi: Ya-lah. It was reported that IRB will have collected RM50 billion taxes by this year. mesti cukup untuk expenses. Tapi, maybe, these actions got to do with the KPI set by the PM.

Ah Beng: What KPI???

Khairi: Key Performance Indices. The govt officers will now be measured by their performances, like collecting samans, income tax, scholarship loans, dan banyak lagi.

Samy: Oh, I see. That's what they call KPI, efficiency, effective delivery system.

Ah Beng: But what about us? They increase toll, water tariffs, sales tax, duties, to prove efficiency only-ah? Nothing else lagi?

Khairi: Ya-lah!!!!! Itu lah yang kata: Cermelang, Gemilang dan boleh Bilang.

Samy: Dulu, orang cakap Govt Cakap Tak Serupa Bikin, Sekarang mereka sudah Cakap serupa Bikin.

Ah Beng: Itu bukan SERUPA. Itu SAMA RUPA. Cakap cari tax, Cakap kutip saman, mesti bikin. Selain pada ini, Cakap ini, bikin lain.

No comments: