Saturday, May 20, 2006

Stop Whining, and Start Winning!

Businessman Ah Chong said to bankers:

"It's not that I don't want to succeed and remain poor. I wanted to be like Jack Welch. I read his books and memorise hard Jack's winning ways. You should understand that I didn't plan to lose all my money in my business that cause my failure to pay you. You should not be taken by my listless performance and the many wrong decisions I made. I can still make the right decision, in the coming future, if only the bank allows me more time and lent me more money to try again. You must understand my stand that what I am doing is to help others become rich first, before I pay you back the loan together with the interest. Belief me, ok?"

That's Ah Chong's statement to his bankers.

Below, is the statement by our beloved PM to his veteran members in UMNO:


“You all should not be taken in by my listless appearance."

"I may appear listless and can’t make decisions."

"But you must understand that my stand that what I am doing is to help Malays to be more successful.”

This is what PM Abdullah told party veterans of UMNO.

This is the adapted reply from Jack Welch:


“The point is very simple: to help your people understand that work is about …well, it’s about work!”

“Of course you want your people to be happy. But their happiness needs to come from the company’s [country's] success, not from their every need being met. When the company’s [country's] success does well because of your [their] performance, they will thrive, personally and professionally. Not the other way around.”

“Dear Sir, Its irrelevant how you get yourself into your predicament. It only matters now that you get out quickly, and the first person you need to get straight at is, but, yourself. You are running a company [country], not a social club.”

“Dear sir, Stop trying! With the best intentions, you have created a classic entitlement culture, in which your people have to deal exactly backwards. They think you work for them.”

“Your main concern is not whining, but winning.”

"and, Jangan Cakap Tak boleh Serupa Bikin."

This is the reply from Jack Welch, the former CEO of GE Group of Companies.

Source: Adapted from "Winning", the NST column by Jack and Suzy Welch.

No comments: