Thursday, June 08, 2006

TM v AB=The Battle Finally Begins Officially

The stage is set for the inevitable…
I had long expected this to happen..
I didn’t expect it to be so soon…
What would be the repercussions and the implications…
It is not unpredictable…




"It is, unfortunately, a common trait for me, I make a habit of choosing the wrong people perhaps... I chose him and I expected a certain degree of gratitude."



Dr Mahathir complained that the new Government had cancelled several major projects initiated during his two decades in power, despite assurances they would be carried out after he left office.

"I was not the one to first break the promise, the undertaking given. I made my undertaking publicly, the leader of the new Government did not. But the fact is that promises were made on both sides," he said.

He is also upset that the pace of development of Putrajaya has slowed; peeved that the Johor bridge project has been scrapped; and angered that the National Automotive Policy has put Proton at a disadvantage.



Dr Mahathir said he disagreed that the Government has no more money for big projects: "I know full well that the Government has never been richer."

"To say the Government has no money because the previous PM spent all the money is not supported by facts," Dr Mahathir said. "My contention is that the Government has plenty of money."

"One cannot tell what a person will do when the person is out of your control," Dr Mahathir said yesterday. "I thought I had made the right choice."

So what’s his end game? Dr Mahathir said he would not work to topple his successor: "I am not capable of doing that."

"When I decided to step down, I gave an undertaking that I would not involve myself in politics and not interfere with the Government. On the other hand, of course, there were certain things the incoming Government promised to do but did not. In fact, the incoming Government reversed many of the decisions made while its leader was in the (previous) Government."

There were no objections and we agreed fully with all the proposals. And I would have thought that they would be carried out. I understand of course that new leaders want to have an impact and make their mark during their time in power. The times may change, but what was undertaken before would have to be carried out, and new things can be introduced. So the decision not to keep to promises was not mine.

Of course I made my undertaking publicly. The leader of the new Government did not, but the fact is that promises were made on both sides. So if I have to comment, I think I have the right to comment. At present I support the Government, but if they do what I consider to be wrong and nobody seems to be able to voice their opposition, then I will have to stick my neck out.

Sticking my neck out is very familiar to me. I’ve done it many times within the country and outside. So I will again stick my neck out for it to be chopped."

I have made many blunders in my career. I helped many people up, only for them to stab me in the back. So it is a common trait for me. I’m in the habit of choosing the wrong people. But the present Government can do a good job if they want to. The means are there but if they come under the influence of people who have other agendas, then I can’t help.

Having chosen him as my successor... in fact he was not the first choice, he was second, as he didn’t have the highest vote. Najib had. I chose him and I expect a degree of gratitude. But I was told that I had been involved in megaprojects and finished the money, and nobody has the money now.

If he keeps on doing the wrong things, I cannot be confident so I’ll keep watching. But it must be something substantial before I pass my comments. Simple things people do, like getting contracts, I will not say anything.

Putrajaya was built largely on Petronas funds. Petronas made a profit of RM50 billion last year and RM80 billlion this year. Petronas has a lot of money. Petronas can build if you want them to. Of course, it is 100 per cent owned by the Government and pays taxes of RM53 billion. Considering their total income, their inland revenue tax is about RM55 billion. This year it made RM83 billion and spent RM13 billion to subsidise petrol prices for the public, and it still has about RM70 billion, of which it will pay tax of RM30 billion and still have RM40 billion. Petronas belongs to the Government, so to say the previous Government spent all the money is not supported by the facts.

A lot of people are complaining that the economy is not moving at the same rate as before. But the figures show otherwise. So I’m glad for the people who say it is moving. We need to have a breakdown of figures to see if we are looking at the wrong indicators.

To a question, he said Abdullah, whom he said he had chosen over Datuk Seri Najib Razak, had inflicted "minor bruises" on him when his (Abdullah’s) administration hinted that he had used up all the money when he was prime minister.

Dr Mahathir said this was said against him when it was known "very well the country has never been as rich as it was now. Having chosen him as my successor, when he was not the first choice, I’d expect a degree of gratefulness. So, it is a common trait for me. I’m in the habit of choosing the wrong people.

"But the present Government can do a good job if it wants to. The means are there, but if they come under the influence of people who have other agenda, then I cannot help."

He said although he had given an undertaking to not involve himself in politics or interfere with the Government, the Government had backtracked on its promises to him.

"Decisions were made then and the leader in the incoming Government was part of it. There were no objections and we agreed fully with all the proposals. I would have thought that they would be carried out.

"I understand, of course, that new leaders want to make an impact and their mark during their period in power. Times may change, but what was undertaken before would have to be carried out and new things can be introduced," he said, adding that the present Government was first to break promises.

Dr Mahathir lashed out at claims that his administration caused the present one to go "bankrupt".

"I tolerated this for as much as possible, including the charge that I finished all of the Government’s money and that they couldn’t have any more projects.

"I would be failing my duty as an ordinary citizen and an ex-prime minister if I don’t direct attention to the wrong things being done."

He described as unacceptable the Government’s move to seek Singapore’s approval for what is done within the country’s territory, the abuse of Approved Permits and "selling something for only RM4 when it had been bought for RM500 million".

He went on to express regret that nobody seemed to be able to say anything on the matter.

Dr Mahathir said he could not have confidence in the Government when it kept making bad calls.

"When he does the right thing, I will say nothing or I’ll support him. But if he does the wrong things, I will have my say.

"At present, I support the Government. I’ll keep watching ... but it must be something substantial before I pass my comments. Simple things like people getting contracts, that I will not say anything."

On claims he was engineering an early departure of the Prime Minister, he said he was not capable of that and it was up to the ruling party to do so.

"I’m not helping or going around campaigning, telling people to remove this man. But I’m supportive of Umno, my party."

Dr Mahathir, who retired in 2003 after 22 years in power, also said that many thought corrupt practices were on the increase now compared with during his administration.

However, he said he did not have statistics on them.

He also reprimanded the Government for the regress in Putrajaya’s development saying the excuse of being penniless was used to discontinue concessions.

"That’s what they say to stop many projects. They have shelved the mosque and the monorail.

"My contention is the Government has lots of money and Putrajaya is built largely from Petronas funds," he said, pointing out that this year it made RM80 billion.

As the oil company was wholly owned by the Government, he said projects in Putrajaya could go ahead as planned if the Government wanted to, as Petronas’ revenue was indirectly theirs.

"So, to say the previous Government spent all the money, that is not supported by facts."

1 comment:

chong y l said...

Hi Mave:

There are many daggers flyiong around! I deem this as the Penultimate Act, with the Ultimate one being the next UMNO General Assembly when Dr M's "proxy' team will challenge the incumbent and we'll see who are among the Brutus to put in the "most unkindest cut of all" into Pak Lah's back:(

Meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting for Petronas to announce its official results -- RM83,000,000.000 as its profits according to Dr M -- wher does IT ALL GO?
Somebody has to asnwer NOT just to Dr M, now citizen Joe, but all the rest of Citizens Joe and Jane, the Rakyat who gave 92% mandate to the present admin, remember GE2004 election promises, my most esteemed PM dan iKabinet?