Saturday, December 23, 2006

Time to take a break

I had not had a break for almost one year.

Christmas is coming and I want to take this X'mas break to get off from studies, teaching and consultancy services and also spent some time to ponder over the coming year schedule.

Reading Jeff Ooi's recent posting, "Forget 2006", there was a sentence he wrote that caught my eyes, and set my brain to ponder. Jeff said: "At this juncture, it remains to be seen whether I could continue blogging the way I used to, THINKING ALLOWED, THINKING ALOUD. There is a hefty price to pay if you make a rhetorical ideal into reality."

In the earlier para, Jeff wrote:

"Now, there's also something which you didn't know what happened to this blogger in 2006."

"In October, due to some politically-influenced reasons, my employer got its contract which fed our strategic team terminated, and the company ceased its Malaysian operations. Four of us lost our jobs and I have to find one which would allow me continue blogging without fear or favour. Most head-hunters who talked to me are reluctant and cautious about placing a no-holds barred blogger as a senior executive for their clients."

Is this the price bloggers had to pay for expressing their views outwardly and for views that are not in congruence with the administrators and the power-that-be? Is this the democracy that we had in Malaysia? It's puzzling!

It can be observed that the current regime are totally incapable of accepting open criticism of which the Prime Minister himself had so often propagated publicly his openness to constructive criticism. The observable truth seems to be the contrary.

If Jeff and the others are forced to call it a day in blogging due to economic intimidation and sanctions, it's a sad day for Malaysia and Malaysians in general.

I do not want to cry for Malaysia.

I am going for holiday today. Before that, I had to wish all my esteem readers and visitors, merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2007.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pak Lah gave $3million of the Malaysian tax payers' money to each UMNO MP. Ever wonder what would happen if
(1) George Bush gave each Republican Senator/Congressman 3 million dollars from the US Traesury while the Democrats get zilch?
(2) Tony Blair gave 3 million pounds to each Labour MP while the Conservatives/Liberal MPs were told to take a hike/go fly kites?

Now you will cry for Malaysia.

*lynne* said...

Looks like I've got to catch up on reading Jeff Ooi! Wah, that sucks for him to be in that situation... and like you said, what a terrible situation for Malaysians where being outspoken, and not toeing the official line is grounds for hardship and "quiet / covert" discrimination. This makes me very sad. And makes me glad I'm not physically in Malaysia at the moment.

Have a good break, and here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Great 2007!

Anonymous said...

since jeff ooi is famous, he's gotta be more careful but for me, as an unknown, unpopular blogger, it's ok for me to be outspoken and critical of the gomen as they won't bother with me. too small tiny fry for them to be bother. :)

well mave, do take a rest and come back with more energy in 2007.

merry christmas and happy new year to you!

Anonymous said...

maverick

go take a break and a good rest is what you need.

that sleepy PM will never bring good to the nation. he is a burden and for a person of 67 years age, it is impossible for a bandit to change himself for the better.

forget that hope-less fella and go rest yourself... and come back 2007 in more active mode.

take care, buddy!

Anonymous said...

Ya....Marverick,

Let's have a good break. Let's go downunder!!! Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Cheeroooooooo...

Maverick SM said...

Thanks Lynne, Lucia and all the anonymous commenters. Merry Christmas to all.