Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I Screwed my Laptop

They always said: If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

That's another lesson I learned over and over again.

After a hectic day of teaching, the anti-virus software prompted me to remove some malicious virus. That I did and it was cleaned. Somehow, my itch to clean up the registry prompted me and in so doing it must have moved or removed something that I never knew. Then suddenly the computer told me that a certain explorer normaliz.dll is missing and the window explorer could not work. The screen turns blank except the wallpaper. There is nothing in the desk top and not even the start-button can be seen. I could not even start with safe-mode. Fortunately, with the help of friends I sent it to a computer shop in the late hours of the night to fix it. However, all attempt to reset it or to restore the previous setup failed. The only choice was to reinstall Window XP. That we di but to no avail. The technician did a great job and did his best. Nothing could resolve it except one last choice - reformat the whole C-Drive operating system. Everything is lost except my files that was backup. I had now got to reinstall all the programs and softwares including Net.Framework, RSS Reader, Firefox, and all other softwares such as MSOffice, MSProject, etc, etc. It's going to take me a few hours to download some of these from the internet.

I had fuck myself....to satisfy my itch to tweek the system. I will always remember from today: if it still can work, don't be itchy...

I left the computer with the technician as it is too late in the night to reformat and reinstall at this late hour. I had to borrow a laptop from a buddy for tomorrow's assignment in the morning. Hopefully, my laptop will be ready by noon as I had to catch a flight back to KL in the evening.

It's the first time my laptop gave me this problem. I hope it's the last too. That piece of machine is my live-blood and live-line. I will be indisposed and jobless without it. I am now with a borrowed machine.

Fuck-myself and now, I had to spare a day or two to get the machine back to it's working state. I don't know what will be missing and how long will it take me to restore all my necessities and programs. Shit, shit, shit.....

Got to get to bed so that I can get up in the morning for routine assignment.

Fuck the night!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

*oh no*
sux ..time to Buy NEW one..UPGRADe

Unknown said...

you didnt have to reformat and lose all your data. take the drive out and connect as external drive to another pc. copy all your important files to DVD or something. then reinstall your windows. Then copy the data from the DVD back to the original drive. Thus being as it was. That's what I did when I screwed my laptop.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your sticky affair with your laptop.

To clean the registry, never use unknown software. At the moment, I am pretty comfortable with "TuneUp Utilities 2007" (http://www.tune-up.com/).

Helen said...

Hope things out fine. :-)

Unknown said...

Next time get a external HDD to store all your data, the second alternative is make your laptop's HDD into 2 partitions, C only runs programs and D for keeping all your files.

Arena Green said...

Sorry to hear that after being fiddled by MAS, you pile up the misery with this latest misadventure. Maybe you need a "mandi bunga" to wash away the bad vibes ;P Hope you have a good journey home!

Maverick SM said...

Ah Moi, mandi bunga? You got wierd ideas that may work...but I prefer a witch doctor...a witch or a bitch will be fine.

Imran, thanks for the idea but it's gone for good and I will not screw it up again without a "condom".

Kenny, I had my D-drive but the problem is to reinstall all the programs back at C of which many of these had to be downloaded from internet and need hours.

FL2020,I want to buy a new one....because I had a good excuse now.

Hasilox, I will try tuneUp.

Helen, I need a crying shoulder.

Anonymous said...

Software like Hijackthis actually quite safe compare to registry tweaking, a bit too late ;)

I have burn a CD and DVD for recover application, Windows patches,etc. Save all the hassle of download. BTW, at least 25 WinXP patches is waiting for download ;)

Unknown said...

to clean registry. i recommend ccleaner. look it up on google. it's free and its the best.

Maverick SM said...

Imran, I will download it.Thanks for the tips.

Moot, how did you do it?

Anonymous said...

haha. i fucked up my blog and now you fucked up your laptop. sorry for laughing. yours of course is more serious than mine!

i never ever dare to touch the registry because i know that is the 'heart' of the computer. if you do anything wrong to the registry, matilah. very difficult to restore/repair unless you are very techie savvy. but cleaning it with a software, yes of course i do it once in a while. i used ccleaner too.

Anonymous said...

Window doesn't keep the patches if you use Autoupdate. The offline installer copy of windows patches is available from technet. If you install new system often, then you should get the offline copy here.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

old stuff here
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/summary.mspx

Anonymous said...

To be a good charitable being is to procure a make of openness to the mankind, an ability to trusteeship unsure things beyond your own restrain, that can take you to be shattered in very outermost circumstances for which you were not to blame. That says something very important relating to the prerequisite of the honest autobiography: that it is based on a trust in the unpredictable and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a plant than like a treasure, something somewhat tenuous, but whose acutely item attractiveness is inseparable from that fragility.

Anonymous said...

In every tom's sustenance, at some dated, our inner fire goes out. It is then break asunder into enthusiasm at hand an encounter with another benign being. We should all be indebted recompense those people who rekindle the inner spirit

Anonymous said...

In the whole world's life, at some dated, our inner fire goes out. It is then blow up into flame at near an encounter with another benign being. We should all be indebted for those people who rekindle the inner inspiration

Anonymous said...

In everyone's existence, at some dated, our inner fire goes out. It is then bust into passion at hand an encounter with another benign being. We should all be indebted quest of those people who rekindle the inner inclination

Anonymous said...

In the whole world's life, at some pass‚, our inner throw goes out. It is then blow up into passion beside an be faced with with another magnanimous being. We should all be glad for those people who rekindle the inner spirit