Sunday, February 04, 2007

Malay-Muslim & Chinese-Muslim Paradox

04 Feb 2007

This is an article published by the NSTP today entitled:

It’s the faith that matters, not race

by Dr. Mohd Asri Zainul Abidin, Mufti of Perlis

Abstract of article:

In my observations, among the serious misunderstandings involving religion is the use of the term "Malay" as synonymous with Islam and "Chinese" with infidel.

There are Malays who describe a new Muslim convert as masuk Melayu (becoming Malay) or sometimes say that he is "not Muslim but Chinese!" For them, the Chinese represent the infidels and Malays embody the Muslims.

To make matters worse, some Malays label the converted Chinese as mualaf and, more disparagingly in the northern Peninsula dialect, Mat Loh.

Malays assume they are the only pure Muslims, although Chinese Muslims may have stronger faith.

To some Malays, Chinese Muslims are not authentic and are seen merely as hitchhikers.

Malay attire such as kain pelikat, baju melayu and samping are not the garments worn by the Prophet. But Malays perceive their clothing as Islamic because it is from Malay culture.

Malays will normally ask Chinese Muslims to change to Arabic names, as if the name Ah Chong, Ah Seng, Lim or Koh would mean they were unIslamic. Maybe because such names do not sound Arabic, the Malays feel awkward about them.

Sadly, the Malays do not feel the same way about names such as Awang, Leman, Seman and others which are not Arabic either. In reality, there are many Malay names which do not have any meaning in Arabic and some have bad meanings if they are translated.

Still, it is all right for the Malays because they are, after all, Malay names.

Again, are Malays Islam and Islam Malays? The Prophet did not ask those who embraced Islam to change their names as long as they did not have bad meanings. For instance, the name Umar was used during the pre-Islamic Jahiliyyah period and remained when the person became a Muslim.

However, we cannot ignore the fact that many Malays practice syirik (polytheism) and ridicule Allah’s commandments and the Sunnah (teachings of the Prophet). These Malays are only Muslim in name.

Also, most Malays are not interested in acquiring true Islamic knowledge. They would rather listen to Israiliyyat stories, fables and advice which are not founded in the Quran and Sunnah.

There is much else that I can say, to the point that I am inclined to think that if the Malays were not Muslim, there would be little else they can be proud of. If the Chinese can receive Islam in its true form, they will have much to offer.

Read the full article here or here

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wear baju Melayu because I feel comfortable in it. But I attract stares from many people who think that I have "masuk Melayu". I once visited a mosque with a foreign friend during prayer time. A mosque official told me my friend had to leave but I could stay! In his mind a person who wears baju Melayu must be a Muslim. And the Malays are always friendlier when I dress like this.

Similarly I find it strange that some Malays go out of their way to dress like Arabs. Don't they know such attire is not suitable here? And such attire does not make them more Muslim?

Similarly, Doc, if I wear a turban and call myself bayi, it does not make me a Singh! *LOL*

Maverick SM said...

Hahaha...Bayi, what a good anology!

Anonymous said...

but what can we do... this type of reaction is sort of the norm among many people. eg when i voiced my intention to wear sari to an indian friend's wedding, my sister said "mad ah you! you are not an indian, why wear a sari?". see?

Anonymous said...

Do watch this video to differentiate between culture and Islam

Culture vs Islam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3ol-iuCGU

Anonymous said...

on names, it's better though to change into a name with good meaning but then it's not wrong to stay with old name as long as it doesn't bring out bad meaning.

I agree that some malays give unfair treatment to other race who embrace the same faith without them realizing, Islam is not a special faith for malays but for anybody who embraces it, sadly some of them can't see that. btw, I'm also a malay but I can still be proud to say that as for now I never look down or anything to other Muslim with different race because I know the reality that not all Malay Muslim around me are true Muslim... and I'm not a perfect Muslim either... Islam for everyone not just to be proud by a certain race only.

Maverick SM said...

Dear Anon,

I am extremely delighted that there are many Muslims who are knowlegeable in Islam, and I am glad you are one of them.