Monday, October 19, 2009

Barack Obama: Audacity of Hope (Part 2)

OBAMA: The Audacity of Hope

"One thing I've discovered as I get older is that you have to do what is satisfying to you. In fact that's one of the advantages of old age, that you've finally learned what matters to you. It is hard to know that at twenty-seven. And the problem is that nobody else can answer that question for you. You can only figure it out on your own."

"I am getting to an age where I have a sense of what satisfies me, and although I am perhaps more tolerant of compromise, I know that my satisfaction is not to be found in the glare of television cameras or the applause of the crowd. Instead, it seems to come more often now from knowing that in some demonstrable way I've been able to help people live their lives with some measure of dignity.

"Benjamin Franklin once wrote to his mother explaining why he had devoted so much of his time to public service: 'I would rather have it said, He lived usefully, than, He died rich.'

That's what satisfies me now - being useful to my family and the people who put me where I am, leaving behind a legacy that will make our children's lives more hopeful than our own."

**********************************************

When I read those passages from Obama's book, I thought I was the man myself. Ya, I now feel that way too. Age had caught up with me and youth had passed me by. I now need to do what really satisfies me, not just doing things just to earn some money. There are two fundamental things that is far more important to life - values and ideals.

In Obama's words: "If I am wiser, it is mainly because I have traveled a little further down the path I have chosen for myself, and have gotten a glimpse of where it may lead, for good and for ill."

Ya, I think I am far wiser than I was before. The journey of my life had been rough and painstaking. I had toiled for decades, achieving nothing, except for the last few years where I was greatly blessed. Today, I had some success to savour and feel good. God willing I hope to continue with what I am doing for another few years where I can contribute back to the society - to do thing that are useful to my family and the people who helps to put me where I am now, and most of all, to those who needs my help and assistance. I hope to be able to leave behind some kind of legacy that will make my children's lives more hopeful than my own.

Life, afterall, is about achieving something satisfying.

This too is my Audacity of Hope!

********************************

5 comments:

Jefus said...

[..]
Nobel Peace Prize
Main article: 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
On October 9, 2009 the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced that Obama had won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".[4] As specific examples of the work that led to the award, the Nobel Prize Committee highlighted his efforts to promote nuclear nonproliferation (particularly in Iran),[217] and the fostering of a "new climate" in international relations, especially in reaching out to the Muslim world.[218]

Obama is the fourth U.S. president to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He is the third to become a Nobel laureate during his term in office, and the first to be recognized in the first year of his presidency.[219] The award was reported to be "an early vote of confidence intended to build global support for the policies of his young administration."[220] The award was a surprise to many, including Obama himself.[221] The award drew a mixture of praise and criticism from world leaders and media figures.[222][223] Members of the selection committee defended their choice against criticism that the award was premature.[224]

[..]
Barack Obama

He had set out his goals, and as mentioned above, the first to be recogniswed in the first year of his presidency. Will he have the good fortune to achieve it?

Anonymous said...

Obama is the only man that can take Malaysia to greater heights. He deserves Malaysian Citizenship to allow him to lead the country.

But will he accept Malaysia citizenship; Singapore's maybe!

Anonymous said...

Infinitely to discuss it is impossible

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, rather useful idea

Anonymous said...

What charming idea


Very advise you to visit a site that has a lot of information on the topic interests you. Hot Health