"Zakaria was sabotaged by the opposition".
"The entire episode was the work of the opposition to discredit him".
The Klang UMNO division rallied behind it's chief, Datuk Zakarai with a show of support and loyalty, declared The Star.
Other Zakaria's con-theory that emerged:
1) Zakaria's downfall is a defeat for the NEP
2) UMNO is now being bullied by the other races
3) If we are defending Malays right, we need not be apologethic even for the fact that we had broken the law because we made the law and could have exceptions to it.
4) Zakaria had built a wooden house for a poor man. This is sufficient evidence that he had done good for the people in Klang, irrespective of other facts and evidence.
5) The Sultan's decision was influence by opposition members.
6) UMNO councillors are privileged by convention and immune to the law.
7) If we are defending the race we need not be apologetic.
8) UMNO members can do no wrong in the eyes of the law; if it is, it's because the law was wrongly worded to have included them.