Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Burgeoning Liability Management

A New Toyota Vios 1.5L ...

That's the new addition to the fleet of cars within my family.

My son, William, he wanted it; so he said he will pay for it.

"But you already had a Wira?" I quip.

"Dad, I want to own something that I called 'my property' and it's a kind of saving, you know?"

"Well son, the decision is yours. But the liability we had is burgeoning.

Remember, CASH is KING!

Nothings matters more than cash if we face cash-crunch."

That's how the new toy become our extra burden.

He said he will pay for it. he did. So, I couldn't stop him.

I then asked him: "Who then is going to use the Wira? Are we going to sell it. That way, I can cash out some of my investments?"

The supermum overheard this part of conversation and rushed in with both her hands outstretched as if to grab someone's neck. "Don't ever sell that car. I want it."

"Honey, you had your car, that Kia?"

"Well, I want both."

"Why? What's the need? Are you trying to keep a spare car?"

"No. The Wira, I am giving it to Stephenie (my daughter). She is 18 now and she is getting her driving licence soon. So, I want to give this to her."

"What? 5-pax in the family and 5-cars? Isn't that crazy? We can't even find enough car parking area within the compound to contain all of them?"

"Well, since you are the breadwinner, it's your responsibility to see to it that we had what we wanted and you are the provider. Anyway, no dinner for you today. That is to show you my displeasure."

"Hell, hell, I need food and I am hungry."

That's the tale of Asset Liability Management.

Do you know how to be poor?

Try do what we did, and you will be as poor as me.

Poverty is not in-born, or God's will.

It is about decision-making and understanding the self.

Men are poor not because they didn't earned enough.

It is because they spent more than what they are capable to earn.



Damn it!!!

2 comments:

Adib Noh said...

Car is liability with decreasing value.My family of five has three cars, and I only have to pay for two of them.Soon, my son will take over and pay on his own leaving me only with one car to pay.

I really pity my peers who have to do extra work to earn extra cash in order to pay for something that we don't really must have.

To my dear friend,may God bless you.

Maverick SM said...

Adib,

It's not may God bless me; it's may God SAVE me!!!