Saturday, September 08, 2007

A Father's Dream (Part2)

In my earlier article I mention of my eldest son William's graduation. I didn't have his graduation photo. Today, he posted it in his blog. So, I stole one of them to post it here.



The boy is my son William. The girl is his girlfriend Pauline.

In my earlier post, I really do not know whether the girl was Henry's girlfriend or wasn't, as I have not met her till today, and my children are not staying with me. I think some of my esteem readers had misconstrued it as some kind of repulsion or *who knows what*... I have always allowed by children the choice and freedom to choose their friends or partners, and they know I wouldn't interfere with their decisions.

Reading William's article, I was caught by his statement that he intends to go for his Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA). I remembered when he completed his first degree I had asked him to do his Master Degree. He did not agree initially as he said he wants to work (and tired of studying, and would only consider doing his masters at a much later stage. Less than 6 months later, he told me he is willing to sign up for an MBA at University Utara Malaysia (UUM). I was of course delighted to hear of it. Now, he said he wants to do his doctorate... oh!!!! I am so glad, son! It is the pinnacle of your academic achievement and surely more of a self-actualization.

William is only 25, and has a reasonably successful career life. An added doctorate to his academic achievement would surely be the most meaningful dream. Son, you made me proud and I would be with you at the next graduation; I promise!!! Nothing will stop me next convocation, even if I had to be sacked by my bosses.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Maverick! You have done well.

One can the tree by its fruits. You should be proud.

william yeoh said...

thanks dad. lifelong learning is mention on every people's lips if we want to sustain competitive in long run, beside, honestly, i felt missed something during the convo that my sis, my brother, and my dad was not there, although i understand each of them NOT simply miss the convo and all committed to study and works respectively. So, this is also one of the factor that i would like to pursue my Doctorate.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Doc. You have earned the right to be proud! Make sure you keep your promise to be present at your son's next convo. Bikin mesti serupa cakap. :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats William. i congratulated Henry on the same in this blog CTSB.Your dad often remind us the same thing whenever he conducts seminars in Kuching. i attended most of his seminars and will continue to do so in future( althought he often `ketok' me in the seminar esp. on contract law).i agree with u that he's a very knowledgable & educated person & a good facilitator as well. He told me he stated his career late otherwise he will kill the whole world. i feel the same too but it's never too late. i feel more confidence with myself now after i started reading. He often recommended good books to us for reading only after he read all those lousy books! In this way we can save some money! Last week he recommended a management book entitled: Never wrestle with a PIG. it cost me Rm 53.90 & a lot more.You should have read it, if not just steal from his bookshelf lah since he's not always at home!
catch up with u again.take care.- Mmudahlupa ( Your dad's student from Kuching.)

Anonymous said...

Dr,since you work for the money it's better you fire your bosses rather than be sacked by them!- Mmudahlupa

Maverick SM said...

Bayi,

Thanks and I will keep my promise.

Mmudahlupa,

Thank you so much for the motivating words and am sure my sons will appreciate.

eWoon,

I appreciate your kind words.